CURRENT PROFESSIONAL SITUATION
- 2012 – To date: Head of the Neurosurgery Unit. Neurocirugía Barcelona, Barcelona.
- 2012 – To date: Head of the Neurosurgery Unit, CIMA Hospital, Barcelona.
- 2006 – To date: Neurosurgery service staff, General Hospital of Catalonia, Sant Cugat del Vallés.
- 2005 – To date: Head of the Neurosurgery Department, Dexeus University Hospital, Barcelona
PREVIOUS PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- 2005 – 2012: Staff physician of the neurosurgery department, Mútua de Terrassa University Hospital, Terrassa.
- 2005 – 2006: Specialist neurosurgeon in the Traffic Accidents Department –Trafisaba– Sabadell.
- 1998: Resident student of the Neurosurgery Department of the Are Dureta University Hospital, Palma de Mallorca, July, August and September 1998.
- 1997: Traineeship as a medical assistant in Calvià City Council, Majorca, during July, August and September 1997.
- 1996 – 1997: Resident student in the Internal Medicine Casualty Department of the Clinical and Provincial Hospital of Barcelona during the 1996-97 academic year. Doing 12-hour on-call duty shifts 2-3 times a month.
- 1996: Resident student of the Internal Medicine Department of the Are Dureta University Hospital, Palma de Mallorca, from July 15 to September 15.
- 1995 – 1997: Resident student of the Faculty of Medicine Morphological Sciences Department at the University of Barcelona
- 1993 – 1996: Collaboration during July, August and September from 1993 to 1996, as an assistant (outpatient consulting rooms and Scheduled and Emergency Surgery) of the Traumatology Departments of different hospitals in Palma de Mallorca.
- Doctorate: 2nd Year: “Estudios de la infecciones en Neurocirugía”, obtaining the qualification of Excellent. Diploma of Advanced Studies (DEA): Obtaining the qualification of “Honours”.
- Doctorate: 1st Year: Studies in “Emergency surgery”, “Basic fundamentals of surgery”
- 2000: M.I.R. Examination (Internal Medical Resident): Completed on 8 April 2000, obtaining order number 71. Being granted a residency in Neurosurgery in the Clinical and Provincial Hospital of Barcelona.
- 1993 – 1999: Graduate in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Barcelona. Studies in the Faculty of Medicine (Clinical and Provincial Hospital). General qualification of “Honours”
- Participation in the clinical and bibliographic sessions organised by the department, as well as multidisciplinary sessions (neuro-oncology committee, epilepsy unit, neuroradiology, ICU and joint sessions with neurology).
Collaboration with the Faculty of Medicine:
- 2003 – 2004: Neurosurgery.
- 2002 – 2004: Faculty of Medicine Neurotraumatology Seminars.
- 2002 – 2004: Class: “Approach to the third ventricle”.
Catalan Society of Neurosurgery:
- 2005 – To date: Lecturer in Neurosurgery at the Institute of Higher University Studies (IAEU). University of Barcelona
- 2005 – To date: Lecturer in neurosurgery for doctorate courses at the Institute of Higher Psychological Studies (ISEP).
- 2004 – To date: Lecturer in Neurosurgery for doctorate courses at the municipal institute of healthcare assistance (IMAS), Autonomous University of Barcelona
- 2004: Speaker in “Endoscopic surgery for pineal tumours”
- 2003: Speaker in “Troncoencephalic tumours”
PUBLICATIONS, COMMUNICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS AT CONGRESSES
Publications, communications and presentations at congresses
During his professional career Dr. Fiol has been involved in multiple publications from among which we highlight:
- Poster. G.Ibáñez, B.Fiol, et al Comparación entre dos sistemas de fijación de craneotomías, el craneofix y la miniplaca de titanio y su posible relación con la producción de hematoma postquirúrgicos. Neurosurgery Department in the Clinical Hospital of Barcelona. Congress of the Spanish Society of Neurosurgery, Ávila, May 2001.
- Poster. B.Fiol et al: Seguimiento de 24 pacientes con injerto intersomático cervical tipo Wing ®. Congress of the Spanish Society of Neurosurgery, Santiago de Compostela, 2002.
- Oral communication. G.Ibañez, B.Fiol. et al. Tratamiento endoscópico de quistes coloides de tercer ventrículo. Congress of the Spanish Society of Neurosurgery, Santiago de Compostela, 2002.
- Attendee at the VIII congress of the Spanish Society of Neurosurgery in Alicante. Oral communication: B. Fiol, et al. “Ventriculostomía premamilaren el tratamiento de la malformación de Chiari”.
- Oral communication: G. Villalba, R. Martinez, J. Rumià, G. Ibáñez, B Fiol et al “Actuación ante el traumatismo craneoencefálico leve en tratamiento con Sintron”.
- Poster: B. Fiol et al “Metástasis cerebelosa de un mixoma cardiaco”.
- Attendee at the IX congress of the Spanish Society of Neurosurgery: Oral communication: B.Fiol et al “Neuroendoscopia en los tumores pineales”.
- Oral communication: R. Martinez, B. Fiol “Utilidad de la neuronavegación en la cirugía encefálica”. Participation as a Speaker in the course “Diagnosis and treatment of endocrine tumours: New prospects”, 29-30 January 2004, in CPH, Barcelona.
- Participation as a speaker in the course on “Advanced neuroendoscopy” held on 15-16 November 2004 in CPH Barcelona.
Member of scientific societies:
- Member of the Catalan Society of Neurosurgery.